The Do's and Do Not's of Grilling | SERVPRO® of Madison/Goodlettsville
A summertime backyard barbecue is a great way for your family and friends to enjoy outdoor cooking. But according to the US Fire Administration, barbecue fires severely injure about 6,500 people each year, and cause over $27 million in property damage.
Highlighted below are key safety tips of our DO’s and DON’T’s.
Give yourself plenty of room. First things first, keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your home, including carports, garages and porches. Fire could flare up into the structure above so grills should not be used underneath any type of roof or over-hanging, especially wooden ones.
Clean your grill regularly. Grease is a major source of flare ups. Every so often take a good brush to the grill and scrub. Grease and fat to build up on your grill provide more fuel for a fire.
Make sure no gas is leaking. An easy way to check is to make a soapy solution of half liquid dish soap and half water and rub it on the hoses and connections. Then, turn the gas on (with the grill lid open.) If the soap forms large bubbles, that's a sign that the hoses have tiny holes or that the connections are not tight enough.
No decorations near the grill. Decorations like hanging baskets, pillows and umbrellas may look nice, but most of these items are made of artificial fibers that burn fast and hot. Make this rule an important.
Keep a spray bottle handy. Fill up a generic spray bottle full of water. That way, if you have a minor flare-up you can spray it with the water to instantly calm it. The bonus of this tip is that water won't harm your food, so dinner won't be ruined!
Fire extinguishers for the win. Most people never think to have one handy, but it could be the best thing to have in an emergency fire. Keep a fire extinguisher within a couple steps of your grill. If you are unsure how to use the extinguisher, don't waste time fiddling with it before calling 9-1-1.
NEVER turn on the gas while your grill lid is closed. When you light the grill with the lid closed it causes gas to build up inside your grill. And when you open the lid a fireball can explode in your face.
Leave a grill unattended. Fires double in size every minute. Before turning on your grill chop veggies, apply seasoning, bring out all your utensils, grab a cold drink… in other words, plan ahead so that and you can focus on grilling.
Don’t overfill your grill with food. Overloading the grill with fatty meats could mean a grease fire. The basic reason for this tip is that if too much fat drips on the flames at once, it can cause a large flare-up that could light nearby things on fire.
Don’t grill indoors.People often think it will be safe to use a grill, especially a small one, indoors. NOT TRUE. In addition to the fire hazard, grills release carbon monoxide, the deadly colorless, odorless gas. That gas needs to vent in fresh air or it can kill you, your family and pets.
If you’ve been affected by a fire, know that SERVPRO® of Madison/Goodlettsville hits all the above qualifications and more. Contact us today to learn how we’re able to make it “Like it never even happened.”